Thursday, June 30, 2011

got some books

What's With This Room?http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0689860099/ref=sib_dp_pop_sup?ie=UTF8&p=random#reader-link 

For thos who may not know I work with autistic children and have been for over six years, I have been involved with several programs and some school system ideas on how best to help a child with this ordeal.  I can say that while the need to look for the cause is an issue I push to see happen it is the cure that we do not spend enough time talking about.  There is a program out there for every child and adult with autism and though it may seem like an endless maze of confussion, it takes the work of many caring individuals to find the right one or ones. 

This post though is about some books that I have had the chance to introduce to a child I currently work with and I have foundthem to be enjoyable to myself and him.  I have picked up Mr. lictenheld's books on many occassions and watched a childs eyes become glued to the flow of the words in a story talking about the mess in a room, to take his words and present them in a fun and articulate way as to touch a childs curiosity is the sign of how a book can truely do worderous work.  At the other end of his books he spends time talking about cars and pirates in a fun and informative way that a child both young and young at heart would find must enjoyable. 

These books have been a source to the start of conversation and enlightenment for myself and my child, one that at times may have been at a wall in which I would look at books and wonder how I could get him to enjoy a book that was different from those that he seemed drawn to.  Fellow readers of this post I am here to illustrate that reading is fundamental to all children no matter what their background is.  We often hear people talking about the correlation of literacy and ending up in jail, but I am here to tell you that there just might be a correlation in a child seeing the world and autism(just a theory). 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/B0031MA8MY/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link
Let's Do Nothing! (Hardcover)One more great book that I have had some great success while working with my child is this one by Tony Fucile.  It offers a child to interact with a book in a simple way that can be transformed into much bigger illustrations that you as the adult must use your imagination to expand a young childs interest from simple actions such as pretending to be a statue or a tree that does nothing.  So check these out for your own children or for someone who you know could use a great pick up and enjoy reading feeling.

Until next time pretend to be a chair

No comments:

Post a Comment