Monday, June 20, 2011

Finding your groove


I want to start by letting Dads out there know that it is about finding the time that best works for you when trying to start this.  For me and my schedule it just happens to be the night time bed routine.  Also with boy's ranging from 5yrs, 3yrs, and 19 months it is a challenge but each child gets the chance to pick one book of their choice.  Remember if you have a little one to accept any book he brings and work with it, this really lets him or her feel like they are a big part of this whole process, and you will get a great feeling when they bring you Cat in the Hat.  So for now look for a time of day that you can give them any amount of time, for the purpose of the post today we will look at my youngest.  At 19 months I am lucky to get a good five minutes from him so he gets first priority and tonight it was Pet Babies by Charles Reasoner, this can be found at http://www.justforkidspress.com/.

I love this book for young children it is a thick board construction which means it can take a beating and that is number one in buying books for little ones, second it has those over exaggerated character eyes that kids are drawn to.  For me this book offers pages of bright colors and lots of objects on the page for the little one to point at and for me to improve off of.

 Opening page example, it has several animals to make noises for and the chance for you to do point and find with the little mouse in the picture.  I give this book a 5 star rating because with the art work and fun looking animals I can forget the words and teach and watch my youngest as he points and tries to mirror my actions and noises.  Like the blog states it is aboutt finding your groove, make it a time when you are ready some simple rules to follow when reading to children: 1) Be in a good mood, they can feel your mood, 2) know who you are reading to 3) make it different then the rest of the day for you and them
Until next time enjoy being a DAD!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment